30 Mar Pizza with 4 + 1 Sugo
2 tsp dried yeast
450g plain flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp sea salt flakes | if you only have table salt only use 1 tsp
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp oregano | fresh or dried
1 tbsp basil | fresh or dried
800g crushed tomatoes
180g tomato paste
½ cup red wine | we recommend 2018 Black Label 4 + 1
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tsp caster sugar
1 clove garlic | minced
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Add the yeast to a bowl, with the caster sugar and warm water. Whisk together. Allow to stand for 10 minutes until foamy.
- In a large bowl, add flour and salt, mix to combine. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture. Gradually incorporate flour into wet mixture, until it comes together to form a ball of dough.
- Add olive oil and knead until the dough is shiny and bounces back to the touch (approx. 5 mins)
- Lightly grease a bowl and add dough into bowl, cover with tea towel and leave somewhere warm for 30 minutes.
- Place a pizza stone on the lowest rack in your oven and preheat it to 250°C, if you don’t have a pizza stone you can use a thick baking tray or pizza pan.
- To make the sugo, start by heating the extra virgin olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and let it cook for a few minutes, add the wine, and cook until the wine has almost completely evaporated – about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Bring to a simmer, half cover with lid, and cook until thickened, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Note – be careful as the mixture will splatter everywhere! Turn off the heat and let cool.
- To prepare the pizza, roll out the dough to your desired size and top liberally with the sugo and your choice of toppings.
Some toppings we recommend to pair with the 4+1 are buffalo mozzarella, Kalamata olives, pepperoni, roasted red peppers, fennel spiced sausage mince and anchovies!
- Place the pizza in the oven and back for 10-15 minutes, until the crust is browned and the toppings are integrated. Slice + enjoy with a glass of 4+1!
Our 2019 Black Label 4+1 is the perfect pizza wine. The rich, spiced fruit character from the Sangiovese compliments the savoury toppings, while the soft plummy tannin from the Shiraz softens the acid from the tomato sugo. Play around with toppings to see how the wine evolves with every bite – don’t be shy when it comes to salty anchovies either, they make the fruit shine!
– Meg Brodtmann